Next is on to painting the board. I decide to paint under the fill coat/ hot coat of epoxy. I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do. but it worked. However, next time I would definitely spend a lot more time sanding the lamination layers smooth before painting.
The first step I took was blocking out the shapes with 1/2" masking tape.
The rest is just a step by step of masking, painting, removing the masking, and over again.
here it is all painted up and ready for the hotcoat.
I added a small amount of glitter to the hotcoat epoxy mix, to see how it turned out. and it's not bad, though I think next time I will plan on using a lot more of it but in smaller areas.
In a few places I sanded through the hotcoat and into the paint. but it doesnt matter too much, it's just cosmetic.
lastly, I put the final coat of epoxy, the gloss coat, and polished it up.
For the pin-lines, I found that using the sharpie brand paint pen was easy to use, but the additive F in the epoxy, which contains Xylene, made the black lines weep and leak in the hotcoat. Next time I'll look for a better paint pen, or paint on top of the gloss coat.
Then the last, last thing to do was to grind open the finboxes and the leashcup.
and that is that, I made a surfboard. I like it. Now I just have to wait for the opportunity to put it in the water.